The Christmas holiday period is typically extremely busy and can also be extremely indulgent with all the fun, food and merriment. In short, health and fitness is not generally found at the top of Santa’s naughty or nice list.
It can be a stressful period on the body in many ways. So, here are some simple Xmas survival health tips.
Top Osteopathy tips
- Keep moving! Go for a walk or do some of your daily stretching exercises and make it a regular part of your holiday period.
- Try and remember your postures and optimal lifting techniques when lugging around heavy gifts at the shops.
- If doing things you don’t normally do, like your yearly renovations or gardening works, remember to take it easy and listen to your body for any warning signs that may indicate you have an injury. Such as reduced range of motion, stiffness, pain or soreness, etc.
- Just because it’s Christmas does not mean you have to eat the whole pudding or the whole cheesecake. Remember everything in moderation, and try to keep to a normal every day routine. According to ‘Nutrition Australia’ we put on an average of 0.8-1.5kg over the Xmas period. It could take weeks just to shed those kilos again.
- Make an alcohol deal with yourself! Don’t have any more than you would have had normally if it wasn’t Christmas. Alcohol only dehydrates you and has vast negative effects on your health and wellbeing. Balance each glass with a glass of water or herbal tea.
- Anxiety, depression and stress are very common during the festive season. Reflect on the success you had this year – Set your goals for the New Year.
- Take some time out for either yourself or your immediate family. Whether it is a hobby or a quiet getaway, take some time out and remember that stress can have a dramatic impact on your health.
- Get enough sleep. Plan for some early nights in as the ‘silly’ season can cause havoc with our sleeping routines.
We hope you have an enjoyable Christmas and if you do happen to need an Osteopath, please call at Sunshine Osteopathy on (07) 5448 0106 or visit our clinic at Oasis Centre, 1/16 Sunshine Beach Road in Noosa Heads for more information.
PH: (07) 5448 0106
Tue 9:00am to 7:00pm Wed 9:00am to 4:00pm Fri 9:00am to 7:00pm Sat 9:00am to 5:30pm
Ask Our Osteopath
Subscribe to receive our free montly newsletter.